If You Leave the Company
If you leave the Company, you will no longer be eligible for the Health Account and will forfeit any balances in the account (unless you subsequently become a participant in the HAP again in the same calendar year, in which case your Health Account balance, if any, will be reinstated). If you leave the Company, you can continue your participation in the Health Account when you enroll in the HAP through COBRA (see "Continuing Coverage Under COBRA" and "Conversion to an Individual Medical Policy" in the Health Care Participation section). If you enroll in HAP coverage through COBRA, you will keep any unused account balance, and you will also be eligible to receive the annual Health Account credit allocation at the beginning of each plan year. However, you will not be eligible to earn extra credits for taking the annual health screening and/or participating in the tobacco-free program.
If participation is not continued through COBRA, your eligibility will stop at the end of the month in which you leave the Company.
You can submit claims for reimbursement from the Health Account for eligible expenses incurred during the months in which you were an active employee. Claims can be submitted to the processing center until March 31 of the following year. Any money remaining in the account after March 31 of the following year will be forfeited (unless you enroll for the HAP through COBRA).
For more information, please contact the PG&E Benefits Service Center at 866-271-8144 (open weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time).