Family Events
If You Get Married or Establish a Registered Domestic Partnership
If you are eligible for and enrolled in Company-sponsored medical coverage and you get married, your new spouse and any stepchildren who meet the eligibility requirements qualify for medical benefits. Likewise, if you establish a registered domestic partnership, your domestic partner and his or her children qualify for medical benefits if they meet the eligibility requirements. See "Eligible Dependents" in the Health Care Participation section of this Handbook.
  • To enroll your new family in your medical plan, contact the PG&E Benefits Service Center at 866-271-8144 (open weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time). You have 31 days following the date of your marriage or establishment of a registered domestic partnership to enroll (180 days for the birth or adoption of a child). If you miss this deadline, you must wait until the next Open Enrollment period to enroll eligible dependents, unless you have another eligible change-in-status.
Under the Retiree Medical Savings Account (RMSA) contribution program, if you marry, remarry or enter into a registered domestic partnership after you retire, your new spouse or registered domestic partner will not get a RMSA. In addition, your new spouse or registered domestic partner cannot use any remaining balance in a RMSA that belonged to your previous spouse or registered domestic partner. For details on RMSA, see the Health Care Participation section.
  • To establish, change or review your beneficiary designations, go to MetLife's website at or call MetLife at 888-878-8490. To change your beneficiary designation for the Retirement Savings Plan, you can log onto If you do not have Internet access, you may call the PG&E Corporation Retirement Savings Plan Service Center at 877-PGE-401K (877-743-4015).
Surviving Dependents
If you are a surviving spouse or a covered dependent and you get married or establish a registered domestic partnership, you are no longer eligible for the Company's Survivor Medical Benefits.
  • To avoid penalties, notify the PG&E Benefits Service Center as soon as you get married or establish a registered domestic partnership.